POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Ray teleportation and multiple spaces : Re: Ray teleportation and multiple spaces Server Time
15 May 2024 04:07:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ray teleportation and multiple spaces
From: Daniel Dawson
Date: 6 Oct 2005 00:15:01
Message: <web.4344a3ed6dac72f9295bb0d70@news.povray.org>
My apologies. I posted to this group because I'm intending to create a
patch. But then I realized that maybe this group is primarily for
discussion about *existing* patches, and that povray.programming was better
suited. So I reposted there and canceled my post here. But the cancellation
didn't work very well, I guess. But to answer your suggestion...

> Sounds mostly like the camera_view pigment to me:
>
> http://megapov.inetart.net/manual-1.2.1/patterns.html#camera_view

Well, I looked through the MegaPOV docs before and I didn't see that. But I
can tell you pretty quickly that it is precisely *not* when I'm after. I
already thought about such a feature and ruled it out: it merely projects
an image onto a surface as a flat image map. I want surfaces that pass
light through the way reflection and refraction do, except that instead of
sending out a new ray from the same point on the surface, it sends out a
new ray from a corresponding point on a *different* surface (where
'corresponding' is defined by some mapping).

Anyway, if there's going to be some actual development on this, would you
agree that povray.programming is a better place to discuss it?