POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : STOPPING a render does not "release" computer : Re: STOPPING a render does not "release" computer Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:57:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STOPPING a render does not "release" computer
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Oct 2005 00:00:00
Message: <web.4341fd3e2e26f4187e8e7870@news.povray.org>
> Kenneth wrote:
> >
> > Very interesting!  (My second guess as to this phenomenon was that the
> > computer was having to "retrieve" or "clean out" memory it had used...which
> > you've corroborated.) I'm happy (??) to know that it's not something to do
> > with my own computer setup. Thanks for the info!
>
> Actually that's not quite right.  It would not take that long to stop a
> render it you'd stop it by terminating the POV-Ray process.  You can
> check this by killing POV-Ray in the task manager - i assume it will
> usually not take long to do so.
>
> This is one of the advantages of using the command line version - you
> don't have any problem cancelling a render.
>
> Christoph

Thanks, Christoph, that works!!  Instead of 10 minutes, it now takes less
than 10 seconds.  Not bad!!  And without crashing the computer.  : )

I'm somewhat embarassed to admit that I've never used (or had to use?) the
TaskManager app.  So thanks for that tip in and of itself.

Stopping a render like this does raise a question in my mind, though: If
POV-Ray normally takes time to "clean out" (or "make available again"?) the
many small fragments of hard drive memory it has used, am I creating
"other" problems by terminating POV this way? So far, it doesn't seem
so...but I'm not Windows-saavy enough to know.