POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How find the volume of an object? : Re: How find the volume of an object? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How find the volume of an object?
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 24 Sep 2005 11:20:00
Message: <web.43356d6ab467f424d120a2660@news.povray.org>
Just a suggestion: adaptive integration. Recursively subdivide the object
into octants, comparing the volume calculated from each subdivision with
the previous stage, and stopping subdivision when the difference in
calculated volumes drops below a certain level.

I've used this technique succesfully in 2D, I don't see any reason for it
not to work in 3D. Adaptive integration is most efficient when each stage
can reuse the results from the previous stage.