POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Controlling transmittance in texture maps with alpha channels : Controlling transmittance in texture maps with alpha channels Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Controlling transmittance in texture maps with alpha channels
From: spl
Date: 21 Sep 2005 12:55:00
Message: <web.43318fec943efc7b279c3b00@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to modulate the transmittance of an object that also has an
image_map containing alpha values?

I have tried using the

transmit all <some_transmittance_value>

image map modifier but I get very bizarre results when the transmittance
value is greater than about 0.5 -- almost as if colors are wrapping around
to complementary colors (that is what should be red shows cyan).

To explain a little about what I'm attemping to do, I am using image_mapped
planes to essentially do volume rendering.  I would like to be able to fade
in the volume object by manipulating its overall transmittance.

Can I make this work or is this just a stupid idea?