POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rendering stereo pairs in povray? : Re: rendering stereo pairs in povray? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering stereo pairs in povray?
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 19 Sep 2005 23:10:00
Message: <web.432f7d5b1d9357d3ad93754b0@news.povray.org>
"spl" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > I leave the camera location & look_at vectors alone and translate the camera
> > sideways as the last statement in the camera block. Assuming the camera is
> > looking straight ahead parallel to the z axis, then (according to the
> > literature) that if the distance from the camera to the centre of the scene
> > is D, then translate -0.014*D*x for the left eye & 0.014*D*x for the right
> > eye view.

I should have mentioned that the viewing distance is affected by the camera
direction vector and angle.

> Do I understand correctly then that if the camera is tilted, this won't
> work?

It will work ok if the camera is tilted vertically, but not horizontally,
because that would give different distances for the two eyes. The simple
way to handle this problem is to give the camera location & look_at vectors
the same x value, and rotate the camera (or the whole scene) to give the
desired viewing angle.

> How was the 0.014 constant derived?  If it's in the literature, can you
> point me at a suitable reference?

Here you go:

http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~matt/courses/cs563/talks/stereohtml/stereo.html