POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent objects in media -- object appears and cuts hole in media? : Transparent objects in media -- object appears and cuts hole in media? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:54 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent objects in media -- object appears and cuts hole in media?
From: zachrahan
Date: 13 Sep 2005 03:40:00
Message: <web.4326816fc2be8aa61e6432b90@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

I'm trying to figure out how to tweak the media settings so that transparent
objects stay transparent even in media, and don't cause any strange
artifacts.

At the end of the message is a simple scene with a transparent square that
is still visible when media is added. (The object rightly disappears when
media is removed.)

Also note the bizarre artifacts generated against the checker "floor" by the
"transparent" square -- the square seems to cancel out all the media
effects behind it, leaving a "cut out" in the fog.

What's going on here? Any way to fix these problems?

Here's the render of the following scene I'm getting on my system (POV
3.6.0):
http://www.stanford.edu/~zpincus/artifacts.png

Thanks,

Zach

media { // Offending media statement. Comment out to fix.
 scattering {1, 0.5 }
}

polygon {
 5,