POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is it possible to model translucent objects (not transparent)? : Is it possible to model translucent objects (not transparent)? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Is it possible to model translucent objects (not transparent)?
From: Brook
Date: 2 Sep 2005 01:25:00
Message: <web.4317e0b0d1f0a8303faaed630@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere; if so please point me
in the correct direction.

I am trying to render some translucent objects (plastic pipette tips, to be
specific).  I tried using the standard transparency, but the background was
transmitted too cleanly and sharply; instead of plastic, the pipette tips
ended up looking as if they were made of glass.  The problem is that these
items aren't transparent per se, but they are not opaque, either (so
some kind of subsurface shading that uses internal opaque objects
doesn't seem like a viable option either - I need some elements
of the background visible through the plastic objects... Or a way of
faking it).  They transmit a certain amount of light and even some detail,
but not clear detail.  I'm hunting for a way to model this.
I've become sort of caught up in the idea of rendering translucent
objects.  What about frosted glass, for example?  Or shoji screens?  Anyone
have any advice?

Thanks much!

-Brook