POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : "no_shadow" object casts shadow when animating : "no_shadow" object casts shadow when animating Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:00 EDT (-0400)
  "no_shadow" object casts shadow when animating
From: White Ryder
Date: 1 Sep 2005 16:10:00
Message: <web.43175e7618efad38fc5d75160@news.povray.org>
I created a static scene in POV-Ray and successfully suppressed shadows with
no_shadow.  However when I modified the file for animation I found that the
shadows appeared in the rendered frames despite the no_shadow keyword.  In
the animated version, the no_shadow object gradually appears by displaying
an intersection of the object with a box that grows larger with the value of
clock.  (I even made the box no_shadow as well, but I still see a shadow.)
When I don't do the intersection, the shadow goes away.

I'm using POV-Ray version 3.6.1a.icl8.win32 under Windows XP Pro, SP2.

Have I made some typical newbie error, or am I missing something subtle
about rendering animation?

Below is a simplified version of the code that displays the problem.
You can set the "Animate" constant true to see the shadow appear, or
false to see the object not casting a shadow (as desired).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
WhiteRyder

  #include "colors.inc"
  #include "finish.inc"

  background { color MidnightBlue }
  plane      { < 0, 1, 0 >, 0   pigment { color VLightGray }  }

  camera {
    location <0, 2, -6>
    look_at  <0, 3,  0>
  }

  light_source { <-2, 5, -7> color 2*White }

  #declare Animate=true;      // Set "true" to render animation

  // Generate the cone rising from the base
  #declare ConeHeight = 2;

  #declare RayCone=

#if (Animate)                 // for animation, show intersection with box
  intersection  {
#end                          // for static scene, show whole cone
    cone {
      < 0,      0,     0 >, 1.0
      < 0, ConeHeight, 0 >, 0.05
      no_shadow
      pigment { White  transmit 0.7 }
    }

#if (Animate)                 // Box grows to reveal more in each frame
    box  {
      <-1,        -1,                 -1 >,
      < 1,  clock*ConeHeight - 0.001,  1 >   // subtract 0.001 to avoid
clock==0 artifacts
      no_shadow
      pigment { White  transmit 0.7 }
    }