POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Final codec test - "stupid3.mpg" (link to mpeg-1) : Re: Final codec test - "stupid3.mpg" (link to mpeg-1) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:02:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Final codec test - "stupid3.mpg" (link to mpeg-1)
From: Jaap
Date: 28 Aug 2005 14:20:01
Message: <web.4311ffdccddff38fa8399d8d0@news.povray.org>
Dan Byers <goo### [at] huntelnet> wrote:
> Here's what I finally settled on:
> ffmpeg -i in_file.mov -f mpeg -vcode mpeg1video -acodec mp2 - b 256 -a 48
> -hq out_file.mpg

thanks.

> Had to use MPEG-1; it was the only format I could get audio to work on. It
> would blow up whenever I used a stereo audio file, too.  I don't know
> anything about theora video; is it something MP will read?
it should. but it's not standard installed on windows, etc.

Theora is a relatively new video encoding format. that is supposed to
already
outperform xvid/divx. normally the theroa video is combined with vobis audio
by encapsulating it in a ogg file. (like putting mpeg-4+mp3 in an avi file)
The good thing is that it's free, meaning: the format is made public (and is
actually easy to understand if you are a programmer!) and you don't have to
pay royalties if you make an encoder for it (unlike mpeg-4)
Someone even implemented an encoder in FPGA hardware..

it's been a while since i was playing with it, i even made a
simple file-rename tool in POV:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/thread/%3Cweb.4240b2b0f6941213a8399d8d0%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://theora.org/

http://www.v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/examples.html