POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : negative index of refraction : Re: negative index of refraction Server Time
5 May 2024 13:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: negative index of refraction
From: wolfman
Date: 23 Aug 2005 06:35:00
Message: <web.430afb4f28e74d46984942950@news.povray.org>
Sorry,

I found this in the beginner's newsgroup (hadn't looked there before):
"I thought it allowed IOR to be less than 1.0, but if not, you can
certainly invert your shape and fill the rest of the universe with a
higher IOR value. Only the difference in the IOR values at the interface
are significant for determining the angle of refraction."

Physically, this is not the same. A positive ior is positive and doesn't
exhibit very strange features even if it is <1.0.