POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it possible to convert a text string to a Macro Identifier ??? : Re: Is it possible to convert a text string to a Macro Identifier??? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it possible to convert a text string to a Macro Identifier???
From: Mike E
Date: 16 Aug 2005 07:05:02
Message: <web.4301c5b4b67b12bad0a6eb5d0@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:

> Parse_String, at least in this case, is sort of a hack that solves an
> obscure problem (caused by an input file that I'm assuming you have no
> control over). Don't rely on it all the time because there are generally
> better ways to do things.
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Hmm. Interesting response Mr Slime. It is an input file that I have some
control over from another pgm. But I find the notion of generating commands
which are dependent on external files (or even just text strings) very
useful in many cases,  not just this one - whether I have control over them
or not.
This is mainly to avoid long winded code using things like strcmp() or
switch statements to generate an action based on a large no of variable
data input.
Would you care to expand on your ideas about better ways to do things?

M.E.