POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature suggestion: coordinate conversion built into POV-Ray. : Feature suggestion: coordinate conversion built into POV-Ray. Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:30:52 EDT (-0400)
  Feature suggestion: coordinate conversion built into POV-Ray.
From: Allen
Date: 4 Aug 2005 16:25:00
Message: <web.42f2793a3bf1b8fd97b9d6b0@news.povray.org>
Is this the correct place to post suggestions?  If not, I'm sorry.

I've used several external programs in conjunction with POV-Ray. Some are
good and some are bad.  Some of them don't properly export the coordinate
values or export in the right-handed system when I prefer the left-handed
system, etc.

Would it be possible to implement a built in conversion into POV-Ray using
directives.  Such conversions would set the coordinate real x,y,z points
based on the stated x,y,z points and a simple formula that can only use
+,-,x,y,z

For example

.... Start of scene stuff

// Include an external mesh object
#coordinates x=x, y=y, z=-z
#include "myobject.inc"
#coordinates off

// Include another poorly exported object
#coordinates x=x, y=z, z=y
#include "myobject2.inc"
#coordinates off

The idea is that POV-Ray would load the objects in memory, and at parse
time, automatically fix any coordinates based on the settings.  The first
object would have the z coordinate negated.  The second object would have
the y and z coordinates flipped.