POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POVRAY Modelers for newbie : Re: POVRAY Modelers for newbie Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY Modelers for newbie
From: Ghost Dog
Date: 2 Aug 2005 11:35:00
Message: <web.42ef9245ef5ce5d0b318f8ca0@news.povray.org>
> > BTW, learning SDL is a plus: you'd skip a very powerful tool if you forget
> > it.
please don't hurt me for offering my two cents here, but i think u should
avoid moray for a while and persevere with p-ray on it's own.
Don't underestimate bare-bones stuff. I do all sorts of fun stuff and i'm
still not interested in using anything but P-Ray. Yes, you can maybe get
the same kind of work much faster, but it pays to remember the basics and
*then* learn bigger stuff (e.g moray). I have seen too many ppl get so used
to moray, that they don't even bother using p-ray on its own. moray is good
for complex scenes, and will definitely improve your renders in the
short-term, but unless you start mastering basics, in the long-term, you
will start to get lazy, and will no longer appreiciate the skill involved
in rendering :D
note: i have nothing against moray users - i just feel that jumping into
moray too quickly takes away the appreciation of what your work is doing.
not only that, but doing things the "hard" way helps your understanding of
the render - most people seem to have develop good spatial awareness - i
can "image" ideas in my head, think the locations, and how I'll make the
objects. And I usually get the positions not too far off. so, as a
guideline, I won't be starting with moray for at least 2 years experience
time (i have about 1yr. to go :D)