POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : need help creating a texture : need help creating a texture Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:30:58 EDT (-0400)
  need help creating a texture
From: DJGrenola
Date: 28 Jul 2005 19:50:00
Message: <web.42e96ecedc6855dd6192c5c80@news.povray.org>
hi there,

I'm trying to create a texture to be applied to a long, thin box. The
texture needs to consist of alternating black and yellow/orange stripes.
Perhaps a piece of ASCII art would help.

|__   __|
|  \_/  |
|__   __|
|  \_/  |
|__   __|
|  \_/  |
|__   __|
|  \_/  |
|       |
 O  Y  O

The lines represent the stripes. The area in between them is black. The
stripes should be yellow in the centre and orange towards the edges.

I can create straight horizontal stripes using a combination of a scaled
checker overlaid with a gradient / color_map combination to produce the
orange/yellow tinges - that's straightforward enough. What I cannot figure
out is a way to warp the stripes in the centre so that they have that
"grooved" effect.

I could do it by creating intersections with CSG objects passing through the
box and texturing the intersected areas differently, but this seems like a
pretty horrible, inelegant solution, as I need perhaps 50 or 100 stripes. I
could also of course use a GIF or something, but really I would much rather
try to keep things within the scene files and not use anything external.

I'm reasonably new to POV-Ray, so there may be an obvious answer.

Thanks,

DJG