POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Photon mapping and media do not work : Photon mapping and media do not work Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:32 EDT (-0400)
  Photon mapping and media do not work
From: Artur Rataj
Date: 24 Jul 2005 10:00:00
Message: <web.42e39dfb7a1f5a6ae9d8b2350@news.povray.org>
Hello!

Here is the POV file, which I though will show some bluish ball:

#include "colors.inc"
#include "shapes.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 2.2
  max_trace_level 5
   photons {
     count 10000000
     max_trace_level 10
     adc_bailout 0.01
     media 1000
   }
}

camera {
   location <0, -5, 0>
   up  <0, 0, 1>
   look_at <0.0, 0.0, 0>

}

light_source { <-5, -5, 5> colour red 0.85 green 0.85 blue 0.85 }

//   object { Cube
//      scale <5, 0.001, 7>
//
//      pigment {
//         checker color Black color White
//      }
//      finish {
//         ambient 0.35
//         diffuse 0.65
//         crand 0.015
//      }
//      photons {
//         target
//         refraction on
//         reflection on
//         collect on
//       }
//   }

   sphere { <0, 2.15, 0>, 2.15
      pigment { White filter 0.95 }
      interior{
         ior 1.45
         fade_distance 2
         fade_power 2
         caustics 2.0
         media {
           scattering {
              1, rgb <0.5, 0.8, 1.0>
           }
         }
      }
      finish {
         ambient 0.2
         diffuse 0.0
         reflection 0.12
         specular 1.0
        roughness 0.001
      }
      photons {
         target
         refraction on
         reflection on
         collect on
       }

   }

but the resulting ball is black but the specular reflections, and the media
is
invisible. Additionally, if I uncomment the cube object, the whole image is
some kind of noise:

  0:00:05 Building Photon Maps Photons 0 (sampling 1x1)

No number of photons is mentioned, no 0x0 sampling. I tried several
different different values of the numbers of photons, and of
max_trace_level, adc_bailout, radius and media settings in the global
settings/photons section. What is wrong with the file?

Cheers,
Artur