POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Problems with rendering udo models from Poseray : Re: Problems with rendering udo models from Poseray Server Time
29 Apr 2024 05:38:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with rendering udo models from Poseray
From: Hildur K
Date: 20 Jun 2005 09:40:00
Message: <web.42b6c5ca818801e71c5013280@news.povray.org>
"StephenS" <sshonfield(at)ottawa(dot)net> wrote:

> Do you export as .3ds or .obj?

I export as .3ds as Max doesn't support .obj.

I don't use 3ds Max or Poseray, so some of this is just guessing. Hopefully
> some how know what there talking about will speak up :-)

Actually you got me thinking and I did some research. Which left me with
more questions (of course). Thanks anyway.

I looked into the udo ascii text file and there is a definition of a mesh.
It refers to an .inc file which has an almost identical definition of a mesh
as the .udo but there the object is declared as a mesh2 object.

So this particular udo object is really a mesh2 object!

But this doesn't completely answer my original quesion, on the contrary it
makes it more curious. Why does a udo referring to a mesh2 object generate
artefacts while Morays own mesh2 does not?

The only thing I can think of is the quality of the mesh2 object. I noticed
thart the inc file containing the mesh is only about 1,800kb but the
exported Moray's converted to mesh2 pov file is around 10,000kb.

This must have someting to do with faces. The udo smoothes the model nicely,
but when I convert to mesh2 in Moray the model appeares faceted.
Subdividing once is enough to smooth in this case but that means of course
5 times bigger output.

But this still doesn't quite explain the artefacts, or does it? I'm not
sure.

Comments anyone?

Hildur