POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting : Re: Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting
From: FelixKlein
Date: 9 Jun 2005 19:10:00
Message: <web.42a8cbbba42d04398d9e5d340@news.povray.org>
> Does it help if you bring the light source closer by a factor of 100 or so
> (<10, 20, 100>)? (If this effects other parts of your scene, you could try
> using two separate light sources with light_group.)

Actully it does not; I was mistaken in thinking the problem was the
_distance_ of the light source.  Rather it seems the render time increases
exponentially as the light source is moved away from the z axis, presumably
because this produces (literally) millions of shadows that aren't seen with
directly-overhead lighting.

> I wouldn't suggest resorting to the no_shadow keyword as a solution until
> the actual problem is more clear.

In this case I would prefer not to have shadows, so I'm happy with this
solution.  I think the fact that the render time increases drastically when
the light is not overhead (but stays the same with "no_shadow") indicates
that shadows are the problem.  I welcome alternate explanations, but now
that I have a good solution I'll probably stick with it.

Thanks!