POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting : Re: Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Performance characteristics wrt change in lighting
From: FelixKlein
Date: 9 Jun 2005 16:10:01
Message: <web.42a8a1c8a42d04398d9e5d340@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> A simple sample scene demonstrating the problem would be welcome.

I thought about including something like that, but of course if I reduce it
to 50 spheres, the render times are roughly the same.  The other option is
the actual scene file which weighs in at > 150MB.

> Other
> thyan that the only suggestion I could make is "Light is actually
> hitting the 6 million spheres?"

Not likely, since they all lie within distance 3 of the origin, and 'most'
of them have a line of sight to the camera (i.e. few of them are obscured).
 I think they are pretty much all visible in both lighting scenarios.

I'm thinking now that it might be some kind of 'light buffer' problem or
related to the shadows as was suggested.  The shadows are of little
importance so I'll try 'no_shadow'.