POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : clear glass with transparent liquid inside... : Re: clear glass with transparent liquid inside... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: clear glass with transparent liquid inside...
From: lordcontrary
Date: 4 Jun 2005 18:30:00
Message: <web.42a22a34c1c5ea72b608bc930@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> lordcontrary <lor### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> >      glass is "hollow"
>
>   Why? All the glasses I have seen have been very solid.
>
> >      have tried hollow and not hollow fluid...
>
>   Why? Are you using media?
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I actually was fooling with many things at once... have not used povray in
oh... 8 years... refreshing my memory on new concepts...  media was one of
them... and I thought it applied in this context?  yep... media was used and
a bunch of other goodies.   anywho...

I did scale back the volume and now I have "beer" in my mug.  Thanks.

I did have one problem that needed to be fixed as well... before the effect
was perfect...

When I made the "fluid" I did not have wings3d tesselate the geometry...
This was done during a convertion ( possibly .obj ->.pov )...  turns out
the convertion program did a terrible job of it.  When i converted the data
back I learned it tesselated it in a terrible fashion.  ( not a rant - in
the end I actually manually tesselated some geometry one triangle at a time
to get it right )

Now tesselation by itself is not a problem but when it created vertex
normals they were not consistent at the edges... it made all the refraction
a trainwreck.  Lesson learned... rely on convertion programs ONLY to
convert... not to make adjustments to your geometry...

..... thanks for the feedback... off to make a neon bar light to go with my
drink!