POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problems Rendering on Mac OS X : Re: Problems Rendering on Mac OS X Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems Rendering on Mac OS X
From: Dave
Date: 30 May 2005 00:20:00
Message: <web.429a9463feeef0b5f492a3430@news.povray.org>
"Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote:
> "Dave" <dav### [at] davedelongcom> wrote:
> > I don't know what they're getting saved as.  To make a file, I choose "New"
> > from the File menu and then "Save" when I'm ready.  There isn't an option
> > to choose what kind of file to save it as, that I've found.
>
> Odd, when I use "Save" to save a file for the first time OS X asks me what
> to call the file and where I want to save it.

Yes, it asks me that too, but there's no way to specify what format you want
to save the file as (pov versus txt, for example).  That's what I was
referring to (sorry for being unclear).

> > Perhaps what's happening is that POVRay only checks the display name of the
> > file "#1" instead of the full name of the file "#1.pov"....?
>
> I don't understand what you're saying here. A file named #1.pov is
> different from a file named #1.

Not necessarily.  #1 could be #1.pov if you've chosen to hide file
extensions in the Finder.  On Mac OS X, there are two names for a file:
One is the display name (what you see in the Finder), and one is the actual
name.  The actual name contains the full name, including the extension.  If
you have your Finder set up to hide file extensions, then the display name
would only be "#1" even though the full name is "#1.pov".  Likewise, you
could have a "#1.jpg" that would ALSO show up as "#1", and so on and so on.
 I was speculating that perhaps POVRay was only getting the display name
(since I have extensions turned off).

Oh well, it doesn't matter so much anymore, now that it's working!

> Glad you're rolling now, POV-Ray's well worth the initial effort.

So it would appear!  =D

Dave