POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Setting image dimensions from the scene file? : Re: Setting image dimensions from the scene file? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Setting image dimensions from the scene file?
From: Aek Chomaitong
Date: 22 May 2005 17:05:01
Message: <web.4290f3405f80a86f3279d4a10@news.povray.org>
Kyle <> wrote:
> Aek:
>
> I'm not sure if this helps, but since your are already having to
> calculate the witdth and height values in an external program, could
> you maybe just use the image_width and image_height variables within
> the scene file when it is rendered?
>
> Just a thought...
>
> Kyle

Dear Kyle,

I'm afraid I confused you.  Almost all calculations are in the scene
file.  However, after I come out with the width and height in the
scene file, I can not use it to control the image dimension from there
(since POV-Ray requires the image dimension up front).

To work around that, I copied a small part that calculates the image
dimension into another program and have that program call POV-Ray with the
correct image dimension.  It works but the problem is having to make sure
the code in the external program and the one in the scene file is in sync
at all times.  I also have to pass parameters to both the external program
and POV-Ray too.  This process is quite error prone.

I really appreciate your thought though.

Aek.