POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Camera Tracking? : Re: Camera Tracking? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera Tracking?
From: Dave Dunn
Date: 5 May 2005 11:50:00
Message: <web.427a4048dc2b89064ce44b20@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> Thanks Dave!
>
> I don't like giving out my stuff and registering for some software which
> would be too expensive anyway, so I didn't check it, but thanks anyway.
>
> I'm kinda wondering why no one in the Open Source Community has done
> anything about all the expensive camera tracking, there surely is a need for
> such an application in the hobbyist fraction?
>
> --
> "Tim Nikias v2.0"
> Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Just a strange thought here. I am wondering if the frames of the live action
video could somehow be fed into POV itself and converted to height_fields.
You could then use trace to find a given range of heights on the tracking
object, which would show up against the background, and place the object in
reference to that. It probably won't work, but wouldn't it be cool if it
did.

//Dave Dunn - hos### [at] aolcom
#local D = union { torus {1,.1 clipped_by {plane {-x,0}}} sphere
{<0,0,1>,.1} sphere {<0,0,-1>,.1} cylinder {<0,0,-1>,<0,0,1>,.1} pigment
{rgb .8} finish {ambient .5 reflection {.5}} rotate x*-90 translate
<-.5,.5,5>} object {D} object {D translate <.5,-1,0>} plane {y,-2 pigment
{checker rgb 1, rgb 0 scale 5} finish {ambient .5}}