POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : UV mapping? : Re: UV mapping? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:09:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV mapping?
From: triple r
Date: 4 May 2005 15:30:01
Message: <web.42792262efd573f09c7de2fb0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> Hey, that's something I could have use for as well! The modeller I'm using,
> Silo, doesn't have proper UV-support yet (still under development), but I
> can export to obj and map it with UV-Mapper Classic. I know that I can use
> Poseray to convert the obj to mesh2, and I know that I could just as well
> write a small app for the entire thing myself if I'd get around to install
> C++ and work myself into the language a little... BUT studies leave me
> little spare time, and since you've already written a small app for it...

Yeah, studies leave me little spare time too, but that doesn't stop me.  I
should be cramming for finals right now, but frankly I don't feel like it.

But as far as the program goes, it's in pretty rough shape.  It's only been
tested with one file and has no support for uv yet.  Also, it's just a
command-line program, so it looks like you'd still have to install C++
unless you have a mac.  It has potential to be pretty flexible since it
reads the file once to see what the mesh looks like (number of normals,
vertices, faces [uv-vectors soon]), then reads it again and stores it into
arrays.  Then it writes it to a mesh2 file.  This means it would be pretty
easy to do anything along the way like a custom uv-mapping scheme.  That's
the plan right now (well for Friday - after finals - anyway).

 - Ricky