POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : UV mapping? : UV mapping? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:07:27 EDT (-0400)
  UV mapping?
From: triple r
Date: 4 May 2005 12:35:00
Message: <web.4278f8dd58f725ed9c7de2fb0@news.povray.org>
I got a little sidetracked and started playing around with Wings3D (on a
mac).  The program works great, but I couldn't get the pov export plugin to
work, so I wrote a program to parse a .obj file and output mesh2.

The problem is when I try to use uv-mapping.  It doesn't work too well in
Wings3D - so I figure either it doesn't work too well or I don't know how
to work it - so I tried the free UV Mapper program.  At best, that just
does spherical mapping that I could do right in POV-Ray anyway.  Wings3D is
really slow for complicated models and gives a lot of overlap and ugliness
when it does work.  I have a suspicion that what I should have done is
UV-map it from the start, then create the model.  But it's too late for
that.  The topology of the model is spherical, but there is some overlap
so, as seen in p.b.i., parts around the eyes and neck get pretty distorted.

My current plan is to get my program to find uv vectors with spherical
mapping then some kind of pseudo-mass-spring model to clear up the rough
spots, but I'm pretty lost on this one.  I've never really done any mesh
modeling before, so I'm not really sure how it should work.  Any help?

 - Ricky