POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Liquid animation 6 : Re: Liquid animation 6 Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:10:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Liquid animation 6
From: triple r
Date: 28 Apr 2005 02:35:01
Message: <web.42708307335b06f1bba052d50@news.povray.org>
Florian Brucker <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote:
> As others have already said, it looks more like gel than like water.
> Aside from the low speed of the whole thing, I'd excpect more splashes
> from real water.

Excellent job on the water.  It does look just a little viscous, but if you
want to go all out and make it look like gel, check out:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/b-cam/Papers/Goktekin-2004-AMF/index.html

You're sure not obligated to read all or any of this, but...
     Also, on a nerdier level, I'm curious about your solution method.  I've
been working on the smoke simulation thing for a while (on and off - just
check some time around february in this group for smoke stuff) but the
biggest challenge was solving for the pressure.  I ended up coding for a
symmetric banded sparse matrix and wrote fairly quick routines for the
incomplete cholesky factorization and conjugate gradient method (for the
specific case of the 3-D laplacian operator on a cartesian grid).  Did you
use a canned solver?  Sounds like you wrote your own.  I was also looking
into the octree thing, but haven't had enough time to spend time on it.
For a couple reasons:
     1) I don't know much about the octree structure.  I'm not in computer
science, so I know more about the equations than the programming of them.
In the most general terms possible, how did you program the octree grid?
Is it very fast or at least just not slow enough to outweight the cost of
searching through it?  I sure like plain arrays a whole lot better...
     2)  You said you used a patched version of POV-Ray - does it support
the octree structure?  My simulations on a 50x50x50 grid are already slow
enough to render so if I can't render an octree structure, why program it?
I have a Mac, so I'm not into the patched versions of POV unless they start
with the word 'Mega.'
     3)  What about interpolation?  Tricubic?  (see p.b.i)
     4)  What about the pressure?  I was so content with my solver; I'd hate
to have to rewrite it.  I'm sure the discrete laplacian matrix doesn't look
nearly as pretty for the octree structure.
     Oh, and velocities -- if you import the boundary conditions via df3,
how do you handle velocities?
     If you even get this far - my posts tend to be long-winded - I'd be
very grateful for any help since you're obviously a fair amount further
along than I am.  I'll cut myself off here.
 - Ricky