POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : TRON Light Cycle Arena (Question 2) : TRON Light Cycle Arena (Question 2) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  TRON Light Cycle Arena (Question 2)
From: Carl
Date: 18 Apr 2005 16:05:01
Message: <web.4264121fd78248f070dc520d0@news.povray.org>
I had another question I wanted to throw at you guys...

This is the arena I modeled and rendered with POV-Ray.

http://www.wwwmwww.com/TRON/arena.png

It's 100% CSG.  And that is where I have my most experience so far.  I
posted this image here:

http://www.tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?do=top&id=308827&pg=5

and a friend played with it and turned it into this:

http://www.sketchdomain.com/Images/Game_Grid_wwwmwww.png

Which I like the look of alot more.  He added 3 basic things:

(1)  The image gets darker with distance.
(2)  The sky just has color at the horizon.
(3)  The red IO towers

I'd like to copy these effects in POV-Ray if I could.  #1 I think I could do
with media but I'm afraid it would be very slow and get in the way of
future animations.  Any other suggestions?

#2 I think requires a complicated sky sphere.  I might be able to get this
effect.  It'll just take some tinkering.

#3 Is the one I'm least sure about.  Red light emiting media in cones?  Just
not sure.  Like I've side I've done 99% of my playing with CSGs so far and
I've got a long way to go before I understand just what media can do.  Plus
I'd like something that wasn't too slow and what playing I've done with
media so far can be quite slow.  Still I'd rather have something that
looked good and was slow over something that didn't look right and was
fast.

Any pointers, tips, or code anyone wants to share?

Thanks,
Carl