POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : finite texture : Re: finite texture Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: finite texture
From: bmc
Date: 12 Apr 2005 18:40:00
Message: <web.425c4d81e46da0b4fd28b6860@news.povray.org>
> But the whole point is to randomly apply a large variety of different
> textures to different bricks without producing discreet brick objects.
> Are you not just applying the same stone texture across a brick texture?
you are right. i misread your post. i am sorry for that!

my solution to your problem (if i get it right this time ;-) becomes quite
complicated and might be an overkill.
the adventage is that it never repeats itself as with the image based
solution.
you can use fn_brick_n_u/fn_brick_n_v for a texture_map:

texture {
  function { f_noise3d(fn_brick_n_u(x,y),fn_brick_n_v(x,y),0)*1000 }
  texture_map {
    /* put all the different textures here */
  }
}

i multiplied the f_noise3d() with 1000 to get rid of its distribution.
without that you would get much more values around .5
this works fine on povray 3.6 and windows xp. you might have to write it as
(f_noise3d()*1000) - floor(f_noise3d()*1000) on other systems.
perhaps there is a better way to do that, but it seems to work.

there is still the problem with stones that lie next to each other and have
the same texture.
you can fix that by using textures as from my previous post in the
texture_map.