POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1 : Re: Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1
From: gerberc
Date: 25 Mar 2005 17:20:00
Message: <web.42448d812d97184890f5b24e0@news.povray.org>
Well, here are the statistics for a small render without clouds, media fog
and background trees:

POV-Ray 3.6
parse time 2'28''
total render time 3'19''
peak memory 287563875 bytes

MegaPOV 1.1
parse time 0'54''
total render time 2'02''
peak memory 253942407 bytes

I made both renders with a freshly booted system because I noticed that
things get worse with POV-Ray 3.6 after each crashed render. As you see,
there are differences in memory used, but they are small (at least i.m.h.o.
and maybe because I don't understand much of th technical stuff).

Contrary to my estimation after a few crashes the render is a little bit
faster with the official version (51'' vs. 68''), but parse is
significantly faster with MegaPOV also on a freshly booted system.

Christoph