POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1 : Re: Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1
From: gerberc
Date: 25 Mar 2005 13:35:00
Message: <web.424458882d971848bc6f46a80@news.povray.org>
> That's quite unusual - in most cases the official compile is faster than
> MegaPOV.  Note MegaPOV contains a patch to decrease memory use of
> patterns so it might well be that rendering in MegaPOV uses
> significantly less memory than in official POV.  Does you scene define
> many textures, pigments etc.?

There are only 4 leaf and 4 bark textures for the plants plus a complex
ground/rock texture. Additionally there are 2 height_fields on which I put
the plants using pigment_eval(). All in all much less than in most of the
scenes I did before without any problems.
Maybe the problems comes from the plants, the meshes have approx. 12 MB. On
the other hand peak memory for the render was only about 350 MB.

> Maybe your OS is having trouble with handling that much memory (AFAIK
> all 32bit Windows version by default only address a maximum of 2GB
> although you can increase this to 3GB with a boot switch).  The 'can not
> allocate' messages result from the allocation of new memory failing
> (which means the OS fails to allocate memory for the program).

I thought Win XP can handle 4 GB but I'm not sure and more specific I don't
know if there is a difference between the professional and the home edition
in this respect.

Regards, Christoph