POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1 : Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Memory allocation issue: POV-Ray 3.6 vs. MegaPOV 1.1
From: gerberc
Date: 25 Mar 2005 05:40:00
Message: <web.4243ea3b24142c64bdf07baa0@news.povray.org>
I already asked the same question in my post "Rain Forest" in p.b.i. but
didn't get an answer yet, so please excuse my cross posting.

My system is a 3.6 GHz Intel P4 with 2 GB RAM running under Win XP Home with
SP2. I was not able to render the scene Rain Forest with the official
POV-Ray 3.6 version. I allways got an error message "can not allocate xyz
bites for pigment_eval" or something like this as soon as I wanted to
include the second height_field (background) with it's trees in my render.

So I tried the same scene with MegaPOV 1.1 and there was no issue at all.
Parse time was faster by at least a factor 4 and render time (for the
limited scene that also worked with the official version) was faster too.

Did anybody else notice this behaviour before? Any hint would be
appreciated!

Regards and have a nice easter weekend, Christoph