POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : AVI or MPEG? : Re: AVI or MPEG? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:00:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AVI or MPEG?
From: Jaap
Date: 23 Mar 2005 11:10:01
Message: <web.42419401a206947ca8399d8d0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Peter Duthie <pd_### [at] warlordsofbeercom> wrote:
> > This seems
> > to be what a lot of commercial sites do now anyway, with a link to a
> > Real Video encoded file, and another link to windows media compatible
> > file.  Not that I'm a fan of either of those.
>
>   I don't recommend using those either. They are proprietary closed
> formats (...)

It's not the best bet for compatibility(yet), but the ogg theora format is
at least very open (full published specs and reference codecs). it's a very
simple format (someone is even making an FPGA implementation),
and it should be able outperform divx/xvid.
And before anyone will install a player that supports this format,
someone will have to publish there movies in this new format :-)
Today's hardware is capable of rendering a large number of frames at DVD
resolution, so publishing in mpeg1 seems a bit of a waste of
storage/bandwidth.

(see also my theora HOWTO post in
POV-Ray:Newsgroups:povray.binaries.utilities)

jaap.