POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Closing Hinge : Re: Closing Hinge Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:03:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Closing Hinge
From: gregjohn
Date: 7 Mar 2005 12:30:00
Message: <web.422c8eac86c13e4340d56c170@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:
> Some people here prefer MPEG1 though, TMPGEnc is recommened by some people,
> and is the only one I found that can make the old MPEG1 standard files (it
> was used for old VideoCDs ???, I don't know).  Seeing as we are up to, what,
> MPEG4 now, it seems a bit weird for some people to still be using MPEG1?
> Anyway, there's probably a reason I don't understand hehe.

One reason is that some folks might use four or five different PC's during
the course of the week, and several of them being shared ones which aren't
dedicated to animation, PC's one might not even have permission or
capability to load up software onto.  In addition,  I've seen actual
computer animation professionals in other fora complain about not being
able to see work made with the latest bleeding edge codec-- so I would not
go with the idea that serious cg people should be able to see **all**  the
codecs.   Furthermore, I've been trying to get povray'ers into csound and
csound'ers into povray, been touting povray in other fora visited by other
cg or merely artistically-minded folks,  and thus I've been linking to
p.b.a.   The person who might be state of the art, leading their field with
computer music or with Photoshop might not be expected to have the latest
movie codecs either.

#declare rant=off;