POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb) : Re: Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:06:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb)
From: SJH
Date: 28 Feb 2005 01:40:00
Message: <web.4222bb91270b5b2c1437928d0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> So, I'm currently doing some tests on how to efficiently simulate a single
> hair using a normal in which it starts, gravity, and wind. As of yet, few
> parameters control the effect of gravity and of wind, but some tests have
> showed that the length between nodes affects the outcome somewhat, which is
> something I'll be investigating. I'm also thinking about limited
> vector-fields and such to model the hair, but, like I said, everything's
> just in an experimentation phase. Just wanted to show off what I'm currently
> working on.

Tim, are you still working on this?  I played with hair about a year ago.
You can see one of my old movies at http://hansel.pinerypointe.net/hair.avi

One thing you'll find is things get more complicated when you put a head in
the middle.  Then you have to have some sort of force that keeps the hair
from going inside the head.

At one time I rendered a movie like this with .001 inch hairs and about a
million of them. It took a long time but it looked pretty convincing.