POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : spherical camera upside down? : Re: spherical camera upside down? Server Time
18 May 2024 00:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: spherical camera upside down?
From: Elias Pschernig
Date: 19 Feb 2005 15:20:01
Message: <web.42179e42d1edab8edc761f060@news.povray.org>
Jellby <me### [at] privacynet> wrote:

> Use "look_at" instead of "direction". As far as I know, direction is mainly
> useful to get the length of the camera vector (which I guess is not used
> these projections). To define the direction the camera is facing, use
> look_at.

Thanks, that did the trick.

It still is odd. Quoting the docs:
"
The POV-Ray camera has ten different models, each of which uses a different
projection method to project the scene onto your screen. Regardless of the
projection type all cameras use the location,  right, up, direction, and
keywords to determine the location and orientation of the camera. The type
keywords and these four vectors fully define the camera.
"

So apparently, the above isn't quite true. If any of the developers sees
this - might want to add: "As an exception, with spherical projection, you
shouldn't use the direction keyword". That would have avoided the confusion
in my case :)