POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : auto scaling an object to fit x% of image : auto scaling an object to fit x% of image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  auto scaling an object to fit x% of image
From: Mutley2003
Date: 11 Feb 2005 00:05:01
Message: <web.420c3c53b7391ab94342870a0@news.povray.org>
Hi

I have figured out a little macro to autocenter an object (see below), but I
would like to auto scale that object to fill x% of the image x and y
dimensions.

I know of image_height and _width and I suspect that the calculation I need
has something to do with the camera angle and other camera params, but I am
not sure how to proceed. Also, I would like this to work for a perspective
camera and an orthographic camera.

I would appreciate some help, thanks

#macro AUTOCENTER(SomeObject)
/*

 This macro redeclares the input object so as to do the autocentering
 on that object .. see help 3.2.2.8.5  Returning Values Via Parameters

 This means that a usage like AUTOCENTER(sphere{whatever} is not legal
 - you have to pass in an object.

 min_extent is not guaranteed to work with all csg objects.

*/
#local jaMin = min_extent ( SomeObject );  // corner 1
#local jaMax = max_extent ( SomeObject );  // corner 2
#local jax =(jaMin.x+jaMax.x)/2;
#local jay =(jaMin.y+jaMax.y)/2;
#local jaz =(jaMin.z+jaMax.z)/2;
#declare SomeObject = object{SomeObject translate <-jax,-jay,-jaz> }
#end // end of macro