POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : 3d smoke animation at last (mpg 188 kb) : Re: 3d smoke animation at last (mpg 188 kb) Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3d smoke animation at last (mpg 188 kb)
From: charles boivin
Date: 2 Feb 2005 16:15:00
Message: <web.420141d9bb9f91b198320e270@news.povray.org>
Ricky Reusser <no_### [at] nowherecom> wrote:

> I posted a 2-d version of this a while ago and haven't worked on the project
> at all since then, but this 3-d version is a big improvement in many ways.
> This is a 40x80x40 grid and only takes a matter of ten seconds or so for
> each simulation step.  (well, this animation is only every fourth
> simulation step so it isn't so slow, but it could be with much bigger time
> steps.)  I didn't really feel like waiting, so there is no scattering here,
> just emission and absorption since it takes longer to render than to
> simulate.  It's entirely based on the Visual Simulation of Smoke paper

Very impressive.. I know this is a bit of an old post, but would you mind
explaining a bit how the rendering was done? I have been looking at doing
realisting raytracing rendering on numerical simulations we run here...
We're able to do some volume rendering, but *nothing* that looks as good as
what one would get from a 'real' raytracer.

I am a POV-Ray newbie, however, so any pointers as to where to
look (i.e. data format, etc) would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks, and congrats. Very good work.

Charles