POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Animate a MIDI file : Re: Animate a MIDI file Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:00:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animate a MIDI file
From: VAXHeadroom
Date: 22 Jan 2005 09:55:01
Message: <web.41f26843e38e401d227697780@news.povray.org>
"dan B hentschel" <dan### [at] alumritedu> wrote:
> Well, here's what I did with my Christmas vacation. I got to thinking that
> it wouldn't be too difficult to parse a MIDI file into a POV .inc and then
> use the note on-off events to synchronize an animation to the music. I
> ended up using the technique to produce a background movie for the DVD menu
> system I created for the Japanese Anime, "Piano". Here is a small portion
> of that movie.
>
> I wrote a Perl script that takes a .mid file as an input, and creates a .inc
> file as output. I have tried it with several different MIDI files with
> varying success. Sometimes the timing is a bit off. Is it worth my time to
> clean this up and make it available? Would anyone like to use it? For now,
> I've gotten what I wanted from it. So if there's no interest, I'll probably
> move on to another project.
>
> Let me know what you think!
>
>  - dan B hentschel
>
> Video is in DivX format. My apologies to those who are not able to see it.

I'm sitting waiting for my daughter to get out of ballet class, and thought,
hmmm, I've really wanted to be able to do an animation from MIDI - brief
hunt
on the internet and BINGO! ;)  And you basically just did it!  I'm going to
try to re-write it into POV script and add handling for continuous
controllers.
I'll post it when I'm done!