POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion : Re: Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion
From: Przemek Loesch
Date: 21 Jan 2005 13:00:01
Message: <web.41f142c938e7ee1db0aac12c0@news.povray.org>
Maurice <cel### [at] nospamhotmailcom> wrote:
> Przemek Loesch wrote:
> > I have an idea of adding "shadow_darkness" keyword into the light_source
> > block, for example:
> >
> > light_source {
> >   <0,0,0>
> >   rgb 1
> >   shadow_darkness 0.5
> > }
> >
> do you know about the "ambient" keyword?

Yes, I've heard something about it some time ago ;-)
Ambient will make all surfaces brighter - both shadows and illuminated ones.
And the idea is to play with the balance between light and shadow. Also,
with ambient you are not able to control shadows of different light sources
independently. All the shadows will be brighter or darker. When you use
high ambient values the scene will lose its contrast at all. Besides you
have to tune this value in many places - in each finish block.
I'm thinking about something different. Sometimes you have your light source
very close to an object what causes very big shadow areas what optically
distorts geometry of the model. If you could make shadow of this light a
little brighter the scene will look better. There are many situations where
one may want to make a shadow brighter. For example a bulb in a lamp - when
it is not a spotlight it produces bright circle of light and dark
surroundings.

Is this what I am talking about really so strange and hard to understand? Or
my English is so bed?
We have "shadowless" keyword in Povray. The idea is to make this feature
work in a smooth way from 0-1. That's all.

Greetings!

Przemek