POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion : Re: Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow_darkness - feature suggestion
From: Przemek Loesch
Date: 21 Jan 2005 10:15:00
Message: <web.41f11b5238e7ee1db0aac12c0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> Interesting idea, though you can do the same by using projected_through with
> a lightsource less powerful light_source than the current one. Look it up in
> the docs, it does just about what you wants, although it will cast shadows
> when other objects are in the way. Using "shadowless" would cure that
> problem as well.
>
> --
> "Tim Nikias v2.0"
> Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

You're right - it can be done by projected_through but it requires further
operations:
- you have to put second light in the scene - less powerfull one
- declare the whole scene as the object to projected_through statement
- remember to make the second light shadowless
And raytracing time will probably increase, because you have two lights
instead of one so each test for lighting will be done twice.
I think the "shadow_darkness" keyword would be more comfortable and obvious
for users.

Greetings
Przemek