POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : contemporary photorealism : Re: contemporary photorealism Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contemporary photorealism
From: Loki
Date: 22 Dec 2004 10:50:00
Message: <web.41c99740e72f5907692591cf0@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Loki wrote:
>
> <snipped lengthy and meaningless reply>

Pointless.  Is this a friendly newsgroup or not?

> Duhhhh... lets see here:
>
> 1) Image Map and/or Material Map
> 2) Bump Map
> 3) In order to get a patterned "finish" I assume by "finish" you mean
> something like the specular reflection of the object, and any
> highlights. The only way I know to do that is to pattern a full texture,
> there is not as of yet a finish map. It can be argued this is a
> deficiency or oversight.

Precisely my point, but I don't mean to refer to this as a deficiency or
oversight, it is simply a different way of doing things that, based on my
experience and personal opinion, offers greater control over texturing
options.

> Many of the texture schemes used in other renderers are not suitable for
> raytracing. There are means to map a "channel" to a texture, etc..
> IMNSHO, it makes no difference, really.

Well IMNAHAYO (?) it makes a great difference when texturing a very complex
material to be able to control specular highlights and so on independently.
 If you examine a real-world object you won't find any materials that have
perfectly uniform specular, diffuse and reflective properties across a
whole surface.

> You'd be suprised what you can acheive by actually RTFM and shutting
> your mouth for a few minutes... and while you're taking a well needed
> rest from posting, hop over to povray.binaries.images and take a look
> around. Gee, some of the texturing options can get *very* realistic,
> using nothing other than the existing procedural texture system.

I take it you actually type with your mouth open?  I have read the manual
and I am aquainted with the texturing options as they currently operate.  I
am also aware of the current impressive power of POVRay and have been
constantly impressed with its development over the years.  I wouldn't dream
of knocking it, but I am also able to consider what could be improved and
make sensible suggestions to that effect.  If other users can't accept a
suggestion without considering it trolling then that is up to them.

> Why are you here on POVRay's newsgroups posting, anyway...?

To be perfectly honest, after the response I've received I wonder that
myself.  In fact I post and read this newsgroup because I am interested in
high-end graphics and I consider POVRay to be a very impressive rendering
engine.  I will continue to use it regardless of the attitude of other
users.

-