POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : creating a laser : Re: creating a laser Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: creating a laser
From: stm31415
Date: 13 Dec 2004 21:15:00
Message: <web.41be4bd36824eb4682533d370@news.povray.org>
"vints" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> hey guys,
> I am attempting to create an image of a laser hitting a crystal lattice,
> made of many molecules.

Cool.

> My first attempt has yielded a red colored cylinder whos filter i changed
> slightly to give the semblance of a laser.
> Unfortunately the camera angle I am using makes the cylinder wider at one
> end then the other, and changing the angle is not an option.  How could I
> make the cylinder with a more uniform size?

If it looks like that in Pov, that is probably y how it would look IF you
were using an identical camera. You CAN fix this distortion (if it is
camera-based) by moving the camera further back, and then decreasing the
'angle' perameter of the camera. (I did a post on this in the
Advanced-users section, but nobody noticed) The sad bit is that you then
lose depth to your image.

> If there was some way to get rid of the cylinder completely and replace it
> with a light source, I would, but I need to make the path the light travels
> visible as well, and focus it on a direct spot, is there some way to do
> this?

Try a transparent cylynder (pigment {rgbt 1}), using 'hollow' and filled
with emmissive media, or a very small light source using 'cylindrical' and
'spot_light' passing through a cylinder that is transparent and 'hollow',
and filled with scattering media (interior{ior 1 media {scattering {...}}})

If you do a search in the Docs for media, you'll begin to get the idea.

-S
5TF!