POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : color_map in normals : color_map in normals Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  color_map in normals
From: Alex
Date: 12 Dec 2004 03:05:01
Message: <web.41bbfa95407c18d0e60059f90@news.povray.org>
hey there,

I need to use something like color_map on normals.

let me explain myself:

let's say I have a texture with:
pigment{ wood scale <.2, .2, 1> }
I get a bunch of concentrical rings, in 2 colors.

now if I change it like this:
pigment{ wood color_map{[0 rgb 0] [1 rgb 1]} scale <.2, .2, 1>}}
I get the same rings, but instead of 2 colors I get a gradient.

now, back to my problem: when I use "wood" in a texture's normal, I get
concentrical rings in 2 "colors", that means I see one ring flat, one right
raised, one flat, one raised, so on..

what I need is something similar to "color_map" in normals, so I can get a
grandient in the mapping. I've tried "normal_map" without any luck... I've
also tried the slope_map but I don't see how that works.

any hints would be really neat! :)

Thanks,
Alex V.