POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity: is this appropriate? : Re: Radiosity: is this appropriate? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: is this appropriate?
From: stm31415
Date: 11 Dec 2004 19:55:00
Message: <web.41bb95d4420c6eda607ddbe00@news.povray.org>

> Those settings don't appear very useful - start with the default or with
> one of the settings from rad_def.inc and only modify something when you
> know it has the intended effect.  Simply randomly trying out numbers
> won't lead you anywhere except to long render times.
>
> Christoph
>
> --

Well, let me explain why I used them, and hopefully someone can tell me
where I went wrong.

 radiosity {
        #if (pass1)
         pretrace_start .04    <--- The pretraces, I reduced in size to get
a little more variation in the colors and shadows of that big, blank far
wall, by avoinding large sample areas.
          pretrace_end   .01   <--- See above
         error_bound .1 <-- I reduced the error bound until it looked good.
Larger is too low quality, and lower changes very little.
         minimum_reuse .0025 <--  The default.
         nearest_count 20 <--I was using this because that's what Tim Nikias
reccomended for 2 pass radiosity. Ensures more even samples, as I
understand it.
         count 1200 <-- I used a high count because it looked better. Low
count gives the bland results I posted in p.b.i.
         recursion_limit 5 <--- I have several panes of glass in the scene.
Without a higher recursion limit, the scene gets very dark.
         brightness 1 <-- The Default
         max_sample 2 <-- Increaced for the lights upstairs, which have a
high ambient.
         low_error_factor 1 <-- Tim Nikias' value, again.
         adc_bailout 0.01/20 <-- default, I believe.
         save_file "radios" <--'Nuff said
        #else

      pretrace_start 1 <-- Pretraces set to one for second pass
      pretrace_end   1
      count 1200 <-- count set the same as above.
      recursion_limit 5 <--same as above
      low_error_factor .5 <-- Looking at this again, I realize I never
deleted this. Correct number is below.
      gray_threshold 0.0 <-- Default
      brightness 1.25 <--Looked better this way. The room is a little dark
w/o
      error_bound .8 <-- Value multiplied to smooth out samples
      minimum_reuse .0025 <-- Default
      nearest_count 20 <-- Tim, again
      low_error_factor 1 <-- Same as above
      adc_bailout 0.01/20 <--Default
      load_file "radios" <--'Nuff said
      always_sample off <-- Two pass radiosity
      max_sample 1 <--So I can see the partitions in the lights, now that
the light from them is calculated
     #end
  }

Thanks for your help!