POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity: is this appropriate? : Radiosity: is this appropriate? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:11:21 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity: is this appropriate?
From: stm31415
Date: 11 Dec 2004 14:05:00
Message: <web.41bb441e2c73d0f48f722dab0@news.povray.org>
After a couple of IRTC submissions that used radiosity, and then getting
comments suggesting I should try using radiosity, I mean to get it right
this time. I have been using two-pass radiosity. I will post the image on
P.B.I.
Here is my problem. If I use a lower-quality first pass (count 500
error_bound .4 at 100*60) My lighting is just as flat on the second pass as
it always was. So now I am trying to use a 500*300 with the following
settings:

  radiosity {
        #if (pass1)
         pretrace_start .04
          pretrace_end   .01
         error_bound .1
         minimum_reuse .0025
         nearest_count 20
         count 1200
         recursion_limit 5
         brightness 1
         max_sample 2
         low_error_factor 1
         adc_bailout 0.01/20
         save_file "radios"
        #else

     pretrace_start 1
      pretrace_end   1
      count 1200
      recursion_limit 5
      low_error_factor .5
      gray_threshold 0.0
      brightness 1.25
      error_bound .8
      minimum_reuse .0025
      nearest_count 20
      low_error_factor 1
      adc_bailout 0.01/20
      load_file "radios"
      always_sample off
      max_sample 1
     #end
  }

but this, even with the simplified first pass scene, will take over 11 days
to render! By the time I get the second pass done, I'll have run out of
time. Have I forgotten something, or does a good render just take this
long? It seems like I have seen high quality images that did not take quite
so long.

Also, I am having trouble with the smoothed second pass. It seems to lose a
lot of detail in small areas (see the ceiling in the posted image)

I have read the docs several times though, as well as Tim Nikias' two-pass
radiosity experiments, but I'm still not quite getting that clean, crisp,
complex shadowed look.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

-S
5TF!