POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using povray as a replacement for mental ray : using povray as a replacement for mental ray Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:10:41 EDT (-0400)
  using povray as a replacement for mental ray
From: comomolo
Date: 10 Dec 2004 02:50:00
Message: <web.41b954e9c3ad52489643c6730@news.povray.org>
I don't know a word about povray. I just use XSI and Maya in my very little
studio and don't want to buy more mental ray very expensive licenses,
especially when I dream of building a renderfarm of my own. I was wondering
how easy or difficult it is to use povray as my main renderer (is it even
possible?) and leave mental ray behind.

Also, I know there must be lots of povray fans here, but, honestly, how does
it compare to mental ray? (I believe mental ray makes beautiful pictures).
What would be the caveats and drawbacks if any? And the advantages?

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,

CM