POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question about max_gradient : Re: Question about max_gradient Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about max_gradient
From: Loki
Date: 8 Dec 2004 10:40:00
Message: <web.41b71ff8c69cf5d3dc74bbb60@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Don't worry about it as long as the surface looks OK.
>
> What's happening is that the isosurface evaluator makes a series of
> guesses as to where a ray might intersect your isosurface, evaluates the
> function there, and repetitively refines its guess until it is close
> enough. It only observes the gradient values at the particular points
> that it happens to evaluate. Increasing your max_gradient value has
> shortens the steps between the guesses, thus changing the evaluated
> locations, and it now happens to not perform any evaluations in the
> region where the gradient is highest.

Thanks Mike, for the explanation.  I'm currently rendering a mid-sized final
test, using the estimation method, and it seems to be working fine (except
for running at 300PPM! - using focal blur and lots of reflections)  I'll
post it up in images when it's finished; it's looking kinda weird, but
kinda cool - like most of my work ;)

-