POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : The Mathematics Behind Spotlights : Re: The Mathematics Behind Spotlights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mathematics Behind Spotlights
From: Captain Chemistry
Date: 4 Dec 2004 23:35:00
Message: <web.41b28f31329b38cf9db93570@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:
> ... you'll notice that parts farther away from the light are darker
> because they are shadowed by the media closer to the light. That effect
> doesn't happen with emitting media. If you're willing to live with this (and
> often that's not a problem for me), then the shortcut is fine.

Yes, I don't believe I care about that and I think the use of "extinction 0"
in the scattering section turns that wonderful feature off anyway...?

> This is a trick that I use fairly often to create media lighting effects.

That sounds great!!!!

Now how would you go about doing that? I want the emitting media to look
exacly like a spotlight would in scattering media and I would even like to
have parameters like "radius", "falloff", and "tightness".

I would love to hear any suggestions on how to make this happen!