POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Just a thought : Re: SDL Just a thought Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Just a thought
From: m1j
Date: 22 Nov 2004 14:10:00
Message: <web.41a238849805f982b4e50870@news.povray.org>
> m1j wrote:
> > I have been using Flash and Authorware a lot lately. Both use a version of
> > JavaScript and I am finding it to be a real nice language. The thought that
> > hit me was that one of POVRay's strongest features is the SDL. The only
> > thing I would like to see added is object classes and an expanded material
> > coding ability with the strength of renderman shader language but still
> > apart of the SDL structure.
>
> You are mixing up two things here - the language design and the program
> features.

Would not the program features reflect on the language design and
vice-versus?

> > The function tools may be enough but I have not
> > learned how to use them. After these two additions the SDL could be what
> > the pov team uses for financing. For all companies using the SDL for
> > modelers or even other commercial raytracers a license fee could be levied.
> > If the tool is free then no fee would be required.
>
> Just to make sure - there will be no usage restrictions for use of
> current SDL or any future versions, that would be quite ridiculous, a
> bit like requesting a fee from everyone who wants to speak a certain
> language.

Funny I feel the same way but the licensing of interface and scripting
language seems common in modern software marketing. Example: Sun Java vs.
MS Java.

Two things I was thinking of: one, help the povteam by providing a possible
source of funds; two, draw some attention to POVRAY and POV SDL by moving
it towards being a standard. This last idea is strengthen by making some
part of POVRAY commercial. Like the company I work for, POVRay would not be
an option because it is free. I know this is very illogical but companies
seem to think software is only good if it cost too much money. I did not
want to see POVRay become commercial but thought the SDL could in part be
used this way. In truth I prefer it like you stated. All free all of the
time. That is what makes POVRay so great. I tell people about POVRay I get
strange looks. They can not believe a free program can do so much.

I would still like to see the SDL as a standard for 3D activity. It is
almost there.