POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : "Accurate" "Normal" Field of View (FoV)? : Re: "Accurate" "Normal" Field of View (FoV)? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Accurate" "Normal" Field of View (FoV)?
From: Jeff
Date: 5 Nov 2004 00:50:01
Message: <web.418b13dfe293e888c44849310@news.povray.org>
Hi, All - thanks for replies....

Of course I very much agree, in general (" ... just use whatever looks right
...."). And of course there will be circumstances when you want to use
unusual camera settings.

But as long as I want to try to *determine in theory* what a "normal" camera
{ angle xx.x } is (which I will use *most of the time*), I want to be as
"close to the truth and reality as possible", and I want to standardize...
use it most of the time.

It isn't as simple as it sounds. I brought this up to a friend of mine that
works in a camera store. She basically said try three extremes (from a 35mm
SLR)... a 28mm "wideangle" lens = 75.4 degrees FoV (for an average lens of
this type), a 50mm "normal" lens = 46.8 degrees, and a 70mm
"short-telephoto" lens = 35 degrees; and by the way using an angle of 35
seems to be what the authors of the POV distribution tutorial scenes seem
to prefer for a "standard, normal view".

Now WHY did I enclose "wideangle", "normal", and "telephoto" in quotes in
the previous paragraph? Because, sure, a 28mm lens IS considered to be a
wideangle lens... but apparantly some (most?) professional photographers
believe that the 28mm *most* approximates a human eye (ONE eye - setting
aside binocular vision). If you check medical data on the net, thats true!

If a discrepency exists, it is due to the way that our eyes are *interfaced*
to our brains. If you look thru a 35mm SLR / 28mm Lens, eventhing is
distorted and "tilty" ... it is NOT being processed through any equivalent
of our complicated neural networks, before the camera presents an image to
us. BUT a single human eye IS closer to a 28mm than to a 50mm. ( ... and...
ditto and nod to a comment in a previous reply, perception fades to the
edges if you can keep your eyes "still").

Anyway... I've pretty much decided what I will use... thanks all.