POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Noobie Question Re: Drawing a river : Re: Noobie Question Re: Drawing a river Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noobie Question Re: Drawing a river
From: Jeff
Date: 3 Nov 2004 05:45:00
Message: <web.4188b58675c52738aab3f0cb0@news.povray.org>
Cobrav10 : Yes you are on the right track. I've done this before - also
something similar, a volcano with animated lava flowing down the sides. (I
have this... "thing"... for volcanos and tornados. I grew up in tornado
country, used to chase the darned things).

IF all of the land is higher then the water, then no problem, the water can
just be a plane. HOWEVER if there are "low spots" on the land (nearby
depressions) that are NOT supposed to have water, then you need to clip the
water (or use difference{}, maybe with a big box instead of a plane for the
water). Clip / or make a difference{} between the water (smaller oblong
box) and a replica of a piece of the land (etc).

To animate it, you probably want to use "phase" applied to waves / ripples;
or translate the normals (+texture?) from some point by little steps to
some point until your last point is equivalent to your first. (sorry if
that doesn't make complete sense, I'm tired, past my bedtime).